Monday, June 21, 2010

Our Remember Me Reviews


I preface this review by acknowledging that yes, I am a Twilight fan. Judge all you want, but my motivation for publicising a potentially embarrassing confession stems from my current frustration, because the label of “fan” is strangely limiting in instances like these. I fear my opinion is worthless because any positive thing I say about Remember Me can be brushed off and attributed to “OME!” allegiance, marred by subjective bias. It is an insufferable position to be in, and one that I’m sure most people experience from time to time. However, I strive for objectivity here, so yes, there were scenes that were slow, there was a scattering of cheesy dialogue, and whenever Robert Pattinson shouted I started laughing. But ultimately, I come to a conclusion that I hope would be no different had I not already been a solidified Twilight/Robert Pattinson fan: Remember Me is a beautiful film.

The story follows the tumultuous relationship between Tyler (Robert Pattinson) and Ally (Emilie de Ravin), each individually burdened by past tragedies, their respective families still scarred and strained by loss. “Live in the moments” – the somewhat cringe worthy tagline for the film is further reinforced by Tyler's outset declaration that "Gandhi said that whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it’s very important that you do it”. However, these sentiments are echoed throughout the movie in a surprisingly effective manner: Remember Me is pushed forward by little moments that are seemingly inconsequential in isolation, but which subtly culminate to provide a poignant reflection on the fragility and uncertainty of life.

From the opening sequence, watching Remember Me is like losing a fistfight – appropriate, really, considering one of the key scenes of the film involves some king hits and bloody lips. It's blow after blow, leaving you shocked and hurt and winded. There is a “weight” to every scene - even in lighter moments, it is impossible to ignore the underlying sense of turmoil and heartache plaguing each character, regardless of their age or background.

To read the rest of this review, please cick here:
iheartadorno.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment